It’s almost officially autumn and the weather here is definitely turning. So, as I sit under a wooly blanket sipping my tea, I thought I would make a list of some of the things I am most looking forward to this season.
1. Photography. I think the light (when it’s not cloudy and raining) around this time of the year is so beautiful and it gives everything a really ethereal glow. I’ve been really enjoying photography for the past few years, so I’m very keen to take advantage of the light, go out and take multitudes of pictures preferably early in the morning or before sunset.
2. Apples. I just love crisp, zingy and sweet apples. Last year I accidentally came across a Victorian orchard on apple picking day and it was so lovely and fun! I have already made plans to return with a big basket this year. With my loot I want to bake pies, perhaps try my hand at making spiced apple chutney and, of course, eat them as they are.
3. Cosy days in. I like being out and about and I certainly have a soft spot for walking but when the weather changes I enjoy spending quiet days in. Ideally these days involve lots of reading on the sofa (with a blanket for guaranteed toasty toes), naps, watching old, favourite movies, baking something cinnamon-y, and many cups of tea (always out of vintage china because it makes me feel very English and old-fashioned).
4. Spiced flavours and scents in the kitchen. After all the berries and peaches and plums of the summer, I’m ready to change to warmer, comforting and more indulging flavours in my baking. Now is the time for recipes like this or this, and anything involving caramel.
5. Jumpers. One of my favourite things is to let myself get a little chilly and then put on a warm, cosy jumper. (Is that weird?) I just love the sensation of being enveloped in a soft wooly jumper and it is what I wear most often this time of the year. In my dreams all my jumpers are cashmere but, usually merino is the best I can do and it’s not bad at all. This season I’m excited to wear my polka dot jumper and the stripy one I borrowed (and not giving back) from The Boy.
What’s the weather like where you are? Are you excited for the new season? What are your favourite activities in the autumn?